XVIII
1939


1894

1901

1910

1919

1930

1920
1939


1946

2000




1894

 

The Port Gate, located nearby, is the reference point while viewing old maps which represent the spatial development of Szczecin. It is marked on German maps as Berliner Tor and, together with the King's Gate, belongs to the sparse remains of the former fortification which have survived until the present day. The design and construction works for the development of the New Town were already in progress from the middle of the 19th century. The present shape of the Szczecin downtown district with its architectural concept was created by James Hobrecht in the middle of the 1860s, and modified and updated by Konrad Kruhl in the 70s. These development plans were implemented, with some minor changes, from the 1880s. St. Wojciech Street, situated outside the Old Town along the border of the fortification zone, is one of the links joining the old areas and has numerous traces of the past - a true historical resource. It was placed at the foot of former fortifications and an old military cemetery located in front of the fortifications.

      
     

Chronicle of history of Szczecin * Szczecin from the old postcards (de)