From 1874 it was marked 78 on street maps, and in 1891 the street was given its name - Karkutschstraße. The first patron of the street was Ferdynand August Ludwig Karkutsch (1813-1891), a merchant and grain wholesaler. He belonged to a large group of rich residents who supported the city with donations and took care of its development in the second half of the 19th century. He bequeathed 300.000 marks to Szczecin, to be spent on the construction of the City Museum, which was established in 1913 at Wa³y Chrobrego. His foundation also resulted in the establishment of a hospital for lung diseases located in the forests of Zdunowo, which at that time was one of the most modern institutions of this type in Germany. The layout of St. Wojciech Street was shaped at the end of 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century. Before it was laid out, the area was occupied by the garrison cemetery Alter Militärfriedhof, established at the end of the 1840s, after the area of the old military cemetery had been assigned for the construction of the New Town. The cemetery was located at the road leading from the Berlin Gate (at present the Port Gate) to Tanowo village to the west (former Falkenwalderstraße - now Wojska Polskiego St.; the preserved Wiêckowskiego St. - forming a border of the old cemetery - is a relic of the past route). The construction of Karkutschstraße (St. Wojciech Street) at the end of the 90s resulted in the cemetery being limited, despite the fact that in earlier plans the area had been intended to be an oasis of greenery. While transforming the cemetery into a park complex efforts were made to preserve and take care of the most valuable tombstones. One of them was that of the Szczecin resident Friedrich von Wrangl (1784-1877), a field marshal. His tombstone was made in 1878 from sandstone and white marble with the inscription 'Love never ends', and included castings symbolising his life: a helmet, a sword and a laurel wreath. During the years 1891 - 1892 Karkutsch St. was being laid out (St. Wojciech Street) from Hohenzollern Square (Zwyciêstwa Square) to Bismarck St. (now Obroñców Stalingradu St.). The project was completed in 1902 with a development in the neighbourhood of Turner St. (now Jagielloñska St.). At the eastern frontage of Karkutsch St., an Obstetrics Institute (now a Children's Hospital) was built near the Catholic Church of John the Baptist, erected during the years 1888 - 1890 at Greifenstraße (Bogurodzicy St.). The brick complex of the Midwives' Educational Institute was erected between 1893 and 1895, but the plot under its construction was laid out as early as 1889. The main 55-metre building housed laboratories, lecture halls, rooms for mothers and babies, as well as compartments for students. An administrative building with an apartment for the midwives' matron was located nearby. In 1904, due to increasing needs, the building was extended and surrounded with a fence that still exists today. In 1924 an additional storey was built on the newer part of the building. The highly-esteemed Professor Stephan ran the clinic for many years, and his efforts were directed at creating the best possible conditions for mothers and their babies. The oldest tenement houses (No. 8-10) - five-storeyed, with bay windows and historical ornaments, were designed by architect Hinz in 1892. The most impressive buildings - Secession tenement house no. 1 from the side of Zwyciêstwa Square, and the brick edifice of the Record Office on both end corners of the street, were erected at the beginning of the 20th century. Tenement house No. 1 was built in 1902 according to the design of Friedrich Liebergesell for Albert Netz, a high ranking official belonging to Szczecin's social elite. He placed in it the head office of a major forwarding company. Later it was also the seat of an agency of the Lloyd's Company from Bremen. Attorneys, doctors, merchants, and army officers, as well as managers of important companies resided in the building's large apartments. Their status was reflected in the ornamentation of the front facade, which contained plant and animal ornaments, and created a contrasting effect in connection with the diversified, complex structure with its bay windows, balconies, and dynamic mouldings and windows contours. The high rank of the building was underlined by the interior decoration of the staircase and courtyard, with a marble fountain made by a company from Düsseldorf. The complex of buildings that close the Karkutschstraße from the side of Turnerstraße (now Jagielloñska St.) was constructed at the beginning of 1901. The buildings designed by the construction adviser Konrad Kruhl in 1899 were built under the supervision of the counsellor Delins, whereas Hugo Lange conducted the construction works. From the very beginning the structures were designated for a measure bureau and a record office. It was decided that the most suitable architectural style for this kind of development would be neogothic. An outstandingly picturesque complex of buildings was erected, which had smooth brick walls decorated in finial with ornaments made of light sandstone and blind windows plastered in white. The slender shapes of the openings and decorative, subdued elements underline the lightness of construction and prevented the individual objects, despite the fact that they have the same or similar decorative elements, from creating an impression of repetitiveness.


Chronicle of history of Szczecin * Szczecin from the old postcards (de)