XVIII
1939


1894

1901

1910

1919

1930

1920
1939


1946

2000




1920 - 1939

 

As the Polish administration was established in Szczecin, street names were gradually changed. In 1945 the street got a new patron, St. Wojciech (956-997), known under the name Adalbertus. He was the Bishop of Prague, a Benedictine monk in Italy, appointed by the Emperor Otto III to work on missions, and was canonised after the Prussians brutally murdered him. Not only did the name of the street change at the time, but also its appearance. During WW II a shelter was built in the area of the former cemetery and after the war a park was created. As a result of the allied air raids some buildings were destroyed, especially the oldest houses Nos. 8-10 and houses located at the corners of St. Wojciech and Obrońców Stalingradu streets. The only building that survived from the quarter between St. Wojciech and Kaszubska (Elisabethstraße) streets from the side of Obrońców Stalingradu St. (Bismarckstraße) was the seat of the Evangelic Consistory for the Pomerania Province (which at present houses the Pleciuga Puppet Theatre). The flats in the tenement houses located on St. Wojciech Street abandoned by Germans became houses for residents from different parts of Poland: from beyond the Bug River; from the eastern borderland; and central Poland and Wielkopolska. Apart from them, Ukrainians, Gypsies and Jews settled here. The great apartments with rooms en suite were often allocated to many families, which led to great population density. The process of settling the city lasted for a relatively long period of time until the mid 50s. Because of the uncertain political situation many of the residents were unsure about their future and lived without any sense of stability. Despite this, they started to rebuild the war damage: firstly churches, and then the Obstetrics Institute (Children's Hospital). In place of destroyed tenement houses, new buildings were erected. Their simple designs, without partitions and ornamentation, introduced discord when combined with the preserved architecture from the turn of the century.

      
     

Chronicle of history of Szczecin * Szczecin from the old postcards (de)